Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Identifier: SC MS 0156
Abstract The Morris Canal started in 1825 was built from Phillipsburg, New Jersey on the Delaware River eastward across northern New Jersey to connect in 1831with the Passaic River tidewaters as a public highway. By 1836 it was extended to Jersey City on the Hudson River. Its main commerce was carrying coal from Pennsylvania’s Lehigh Valley to the growing iron industry in New Jersey and iron ore back to Pennsylvania but also carried other freight. The canal was the only canal in America that utilized...
- Subject: Inland navigation X