Lehigh Valley Railroad Ledger 1863-1874
Single volume ledger of Lehigh Valley Rail Road Company containing information on the locomotive and railroad car maintenance, repair and management records from 1863-1874. Entries organized chronologically by date.
- Lehigh Valley Rail Road Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Collection housed remotely. Users need to contact 24 hours in advance.
1 volume; 25 cm.
Biographical / Historical
Lehigh Valley Rail Road Company was founded in 1846. Lehigh University’s founder Asa Packer became the president in 1852 until his death in 1879. Under his management, LVRR expanded its web of railways Eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. In 1897, it was controlled by J.P. Morgan. LVRR played major role in supplying anthracite, iron and steel from the Anthracite Region of Pennsylvania to the industrial centers, such as Buffalo, New York City and Philadelphia. LVRR was also an important passenger carrier in the same region. Its famous train was known as the Black Diamond Express.
In 1962, it went under the control of Pennsylvania Rail Road, and in 1976 Conrail took over all the operations of LVRR.
The entries in the ledger are in chronological order.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
April 4, 1959
No additions anticipated.
- Ledgers (account books)
- Lehigh Valley Railroad Company
- Locomotives – Maintenance and repair
- Locomotives – Pennsylvania
- Mauch Chunk (Pa.)
- Railroads – Management
- Railroads – Middle Atlantic States – History
- Railroads – Pennsylvania – History
- Railroads – United States – History
- Sayre (Pa.)
- Sayre, Robert H. (Robert Heysham), 1824-1907
- Finding Aid of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Ledger, 1863-1874
- William Ying
- April 3, 2013
- Language of description
- finding aid revision date not supplied: 2010 : Finding aid created. -- April 3, 2013 : Finding aid revised. -- April 3, 2013 : EAD created.
Part of the Lehigh University Special Collections Repository
30 Library Drive
Bethlehem PA 18045 USA