Richard Harding Davis Correspondence and Other Documents
The documents here include letters, telegrams and notes, mostly written by Davis. It is predominantly letters to his publisher, J. Henry Harper, at Harper and Brothers, but also includes other letters to Raymond H. Walters, Lehigh University, a few letters from Rebecca Harding Davis to Richard Watson Gilder, and letters and telegrams from various persons in Athens, Ga. to J. Henry Harper regarding an incident involving Davis there in 1895.
- Davis, Richard Harding, 1864-1916 (Person)
Collection housed remotely. Users need to contact 24 hours in advance.
Collection is open for research.
Please inquire about copyright information.
1 box (125 pieces), .5 linear foot + 26 posters
Richard Harding Davis (1864-1916) was a student at Lehigh University from 1882-1884. During his stay at Lehigh University, Davis wrote for the Lehigh Burr (student magazine), played in the first varsity football team, and helped founding the Mustard and Cheese, student drama club that has been active since then. Davis wrote many novels and short stories, and was a prominent war correspondent during the Spanish-American War (1898).
Arrangement of the Collection
Arranged topically then chronologically. Oversized posters are in folders and shelved in flat cases.
Donated to Lehigh University Library by Hope Harding Davis (Mrs. Frank Kehrig), daughter of Richard Harding Davis and Bessie McCoy, in October 1942. (See the Brown and White article titled "University Library Houses R. H. Davis Letter Collection" October 6, 1942)
Oversized posters shelved in map case.
- Athens (Ga.)
- Authors and publishers
- Authors and publishers -- United States
- Authors, American
- Bethlehem (Pa.)
- Davis, Charles Belmont –- Correspondence
- Davis, Rebecca Harding, 1831-1910 –- Correspondence
- Davis, Richard Harding, 1864-1916 -- Archives
- Davis, Richard Harding, 1864-1916 -- Correspondence
- Gilder, Richard Watson –- Correspondence
- Harding family.
- Harper & Brothers
- Harper, J. Henry (Joseph Henry), 1850-1938 –- Correspondence
- Lehigh University -- Students
- Macmillan & Co., London
- Marion (Mass.)
- New York (N.Y.)
- Photographic prints
- Young, William –- Correspondence
- Finding Aid of Richard Harding Davis Correspondence and Other Documents
- July 8, 2014
- Language of description
- finding aid revision date not supplied: 1987 : Inventory created. -- March 20, 2013 : Finding aid revised by Arielle Willett.
Part of the Lehigh University Special Collections Repository
30 Library Drive
Bethlehem PA 18045 USA