Sports History at Lehigh University Collected by H.R. (Bosey) Reiter in 1941
Scope and Contents
The first series of letters discuss various sports (including baseball, basketball, cheering, fencing, football, hockey, lacrosse, tennis, track, wrestling) at Lehigh University, and the second series discuss miscellaneous issues about specific sports.
- Reiter, H. R. (Howard R.) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection housed remotely. Users need to contact 24 hours in advance.
Conditions Governing Use
Collection is open for research.
Biographical / Historical
Howard Roland "Bosey" Reiter was a football player, coach and athletic director. He played professional football as a player coach for the Philadelphia Athletics of the first National Football League in 1902. He was the head football coach at Wesleyan University from 1903–1909 and at Lehigh University from 1910–1911. Reiter has been credited by some with the development of the overhand spiral forward pass.
0.5 Linear Feet (One manuscript box)
Language of Materials
A collection of letters written in 1941 to Professor H.R. (Bosey) Reiter in response to his request to alumni for reminiscences of their undergraduate experiences in athletics. The material was to be used in a publication for the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the University, but there is no record that this was ever done. Responses came from graduates from the 1880s through the 1930s, including a few who also sent photographs.
The materials in the collection are arranged by sport and then alphabetically by the authors.
- Athletic directors
- Football coaches
- Lafayette College (Easton, Northampton County, Pa.)
- Lehigh University -- Alumni and alumnae
- Lehigh University--Sports
- Lehigh University--Students
- Lehigh University. Athletics
- Letters (correspondence)
- Williams, Clement C. (Clement Clarence), 1882-1947
- Sports History at Lehigh University Collected by H.R. (Bosey) Reiter in 1941
- Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Lehigh University Special Collections Repository
30 Library Drive
Bethlehem PA 18045 USA