Skip to main content

Archibald McIntyre Correspondence

 Collection
Identifier: SC MS 0354
The collection consists of six multi-page letters written by different hands and on different stationery all addressed to Archibald McIntyre, mine owner in Pennsylvania and New York in 19th century.

Dates

  • 1825-1851

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Access Restrictions

Access Restrictions: Collection housed remotely. Users need to contact 24 hours in advance.

Use Restrictions

Collection is open for research.
Copyright Notice Please inquire about copyright information.

Extent

.5 Linear Feet (5 letters)

Overview

These letters give a brief glimpse into the mining business in the early Nineteenth Century. Alexander McIntyre to whom these letters are addressed was an ambitious entrepreneur in the coal and iron country of New York and Pennsylvania with his name being passed on to many sites in these states.

Biographical / Historical

Archibald McIntyre (1772-1858) was a lawyer, merchant, and politician who lived in Albany, New York and represented New York as a legislator, state comptroller and architect of the State's first lotteries. He was married and they had a daughter Ann Eliza (1807-1847) who married David Henderson. In 1826 McIntyre and Henderson discovered iron ore deposits in the Tahawus area near Newcomb, New York southeast of Mt. Marcy, highest point in the Adirondack Mountains. The region at the time was a lumbering area. Tahawus became the site of major mining and iron smelting in the Nineteenth Century New York State. Tahawus was a company town of the Adirondack Iron Works operating from 1827-1857. McIntyre has a section of the Adirondack Mountain range named after him. Now Tahawus is a ghost town within the Adirondack State Park system. In the early 1830s McIntyre acquired land in Lycoming area of Pennsylvania which a friend in Pottsville, PA speculated could have coal on this land. This speculation resulted in The Lycoming Coal Company. In 1848 by Pennsylvania General Assembly, McIntyre Township which constitutes the McIntyre Coal Basin was created out of Lewis Township to honor him because McIntyre founded the Williamsport and Elmira Railroad to haul iron and coal out of the area. The iron industry had little success in McIntyre as the ore was difficult to clean but the attempt to continue mining coal was made because of the railroad which was a boon to the area.

David Henderson (1793-1845) served as director of McIntyre's mining company and was a great innovator of mining techniques. He was killed in 1845 in a hunting accident in the Adirondack Mountain Range. He was married to McIntyre's oldest daughter Ann Eliza (1807-1847) who died within three years of her husband's death. The guardianship of the orphaned Henderson children became an ongoing dispute with the Henderson Estate and the remaining family. Apparently the manager of the estate had illegally invested money into a steelwork company [possibly Adirondack Steel Works, Jersey City, N.J.] apparently at McIntyre's request. It seemed to have been done in good faith as a court had given approval. Nevertheless this action caused concern for other members of the family, especially McIntyre's nephew Archibald (M) Robertson (in 1850 and 1852 he indentures land around Lausanne, Carbon County to Asa Packer, see SC MS 0359).

The McIntyre Coal Company was founded in 1870 by Jervis Langdon (1809-1870) in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania and continued to 1886. Langdon was a native of New York State. He married Olivia Lewis in 1832 settling in Elmira, N.Y. in 1845. They had three children. Their daughter Olivia (Livy) married Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain). Jervis was a ardent abolitionist and helped Frederick Douglass escape slavery. Langdon became prosperous in the lumber business in the Adirondack Mountains and wealthy in the coal trade which he entered in 1855. His extensive operations included mines in Pennsylvania and a huge rail and shipping network supplying coal to western New York State, Chicago and the Far West. Langdon made mining in Lycoming County a large scale operation resulting in the village of McIntyre, Pennsylvania founded around the coal mines. The McIntyre Mines worked the summit of the mountain a short distance from northeast Ralston, Pennsylvania. The McIntyre Coal Co. had a steep zigzag plane down the mountain where tram cars carring the coal down to the valley to the railroad was a great novelty to people seeing it on the passing trains. McIntyre is now a ghost town.

Arrangement

The materials are arranged chronologically.

Acquisition Information

Purchase from Eclectibles, Tolland, CT. June 5, 2018.
Title
Archibald McIntyre CorrespondenceSC MS 0354
Status
completed
Author
Eleanor Nothelfer and Berto Sicard
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English.
Sponsor
Lehigh University Library and Technology Services.

Repository Details

Part of the Lehigh University Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Lehigh University
Linderman Library
30 Library Drive
Bethlehem PA 18045 USA
610-758-4506
610-758-6091 (Fax)