Francis Trembley Collection
The collection consists of personal memorabilia including nature-related items such as figurines, china dish, books, newspaper articles, clippings and personal photographs and 3 academic hoods of Francis Tembley, professor of ecology.
- 1950 - 1976
- Trembley, Francis J., (1904-1978) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection housed remotely. Users need to contact 24 hours in advance.
Conditions Governing Use
Collection is open for research.
Please inquire about copyright information.
Biographical / Historical
Francis “Fran” John Trembley (1904-1978) was born in Naples, New York to J. Leon and Marie Griswold Trembley January 16. He had a younger brother Gordon L. Trembley who was a professor of biology at Pennsylvania State University and employed by the Pennsylvania Fish Commission. Trembley graduated from Hobart College in 1928, received his M.S. degree from Lehigh University in 1932 and his PhD degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1936. He was married to Isabel Boone Trembley and they had two children: Suzanne (Mrs. James Christopher Fielding) and Thomas Boone Trembley. Mrs. Trembley was head of Adult Services at Bethlehem Public Library’s North Side Branch circa 1962. Dr. Trembley joined the faculty of Lehigh University in 1928 as an instructor in biology and continued his career as a professor of ecology from 1949 until his retirement in 1970. He introduced the word “ecology” to many students. His career reflected his keen observation and devotion to the natural world battling for a clean environment. As the Allentown Call-Chronicle newspaper’s featured Ecology Columnist, he wrote many articles promoting ecology to his many readers. In 1960-61, Trembley and his family spent three months in England at Cambridge. In 1964 he initiated a natural history and ecology workshop at Lehigh designed to help teachers participate in environmental recovery. In 1966, he was awarded the Golden Deeds Award from the Exchange Club of Bethlehem for his activity with Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, the Bethlehem Natural Science Association and service to Lehigh University. He was a strong advocate against the building of the Tocks Island Dam on the Delaware River as well as the Trexler Dam and warned against the effects of sprays and other chemical controls on the gypsy moth believing that nature would take care of the moths’ defoliation of the trees. Among his numerous recognitions: 1951 he was awarded the E. C. Hillman Award and in 1970 the Stabler Award from Lehigh University, 1964 was honored by his Alma Mater Hobart College, in 1973 a Doctor of Humanities degree from Moravian College. He died April 27, 1978.
8 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Dr. Francis J. Trembley (1904-1978) professor emeritus joined the Lehigh University faculty in 1928 as instructor in biology, as his career progressed at Lehigh, he became professor of ecology - considered a pioneering ecologist. This collection contains some of his personal memorabilia reflecting his abiding tenacious interest in nature.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated to Special Collections by Professor Trembley’s daughter Suzanne Griswold Trembley, March 5, 2022.
Academic hoods and framed pictures.
1969. U.S. Congress. Senate. Committee on Public Works. “Hydroelectric power development at the Tocks Island Dam, Delaware River Basin…; report together with individual views, to accompany S. 2678.” Washington: U.S.G.P.O.
1969. U.S. Congress. Senate. Subcommittee 91-4. “Power aspects of the Tocks Island Dam, Delaware River Basin: hearings before the Subcommittee.” Washington: U.S.G.P.O.
1987. Albert, Richard C. “Damming the Delaware: the rise and fall of Tocks Island Dam.”
1992. Tellefsen, Gale. “Tocks Island Dam: an analysis of the environmental movement.” Thesis Reel #367.
1949,2000. Broun, Maurice, “Hawks aloft: the story of Hawk Mountain.” Mechanicsburg: Stackpole Books.
- Eleanor Nothelfer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Lehigh University Special Collections Repository
30 Library Drive
Bethlehem PA 18045 USA