Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Identifier: SC MS 0146
Overview Ernest Nevin Dilworth was a professor of English at Lehigh from 1949 to 1977. Collection contains manuscript drafts of his published work and reference/citation cards, notes, and correspondence with publishers and colleagues.
Identifier: SC MS 0222
Overview Two volume manuscripts written in 1863 by Francis Magnin of Collogny. Manuscripts document life in Bolivia and Peru with extensive pen-and-ink drawings.
Identifier: SC MS 0063
Overview Henry S. Jacoby Papers contains diplomas and certificates he received, drawings and illustrations for some of his books, scrapbooks about Lehigh (1872-1877), typescripts of some of his publications, and correspondence to and from the American Railway Engineering Association. The correspondence is of special to any engineer interested in the work involved in formulating a textbook or the forensics of old bridges.
Identifier: SC MS 0048
Overview The material includes correspondence re the development and publication of Mack's book Matthew Flinders, 1774-1814. Melbourne: Nelson (Australia), 1966. It includes files on the publisher, Thomas Nelson & Sons, Ltd.; the American Philosophical Society, who gave Mack a grant to do research; & Sir Gavin de Beer-who arranged the grant. Also included are Mack's note cards for the book, arranged by date (1801-1814).
Identifier: SC MS 0076
Overview The material here includes two separate typescripts of his history of Lehigh University. The first one, tentatively titled The Story of the Lehigh University: An Intimate History, is very detailed, and includes an index of names mentioned. (Notes and corrections are from James Mack, who read it). The second typescript more closely resembles the published work, with a lot of the original material omitted. (The introduction is different). The book, published in 1992 by Lehigh University Press,...
Identifier: SC MS 0030
Overview Includes original invoices of purchases, 1878-1899; year-end and statistical reports from 1888-1922; financial statements, 1888-1896; miscellaneous correspondence and documents relating to the library and its history; and correspondence and a budget for Prof. Ross Yates projected history of Lehigh University (1974).
Identifier: SC MS 0007
Overview Born on February 21, 1928 in Jacksonville Florida, Leslie Hunter Whitten was a Hearst newspaper reporter for the Washington Post, an associate on Jack Anderson's newspaper column, and accomplished novelist. He graduated from Lehigh University in 1950. This collection documents various stages of Whitten's life, especially the years in Washington DC as a journalist. Letters, documents, notes, photographs, etc. relating to Les Whitten's early years, schooling, and work as a Hearst reporter, Jack...
Identifier: SC MS 0052
Overview This collection includes articles, manuscripts, and correspondence relating to his publications as well as syllabi, lecture notes and student papers from his teaching at Lehigh. Extensive material from his work on the following authors: Carlyle, Arnold, Hawthorne, Poe, James, Melville, Whitman, and Emerson. Material on other 19th century authors and on the Romantic period is also included.
Identifier: SC MS 0001
Overview Richard Harding Davis, 1864-1916, was a student at Lehigh University from 1882-1884. During his stay he wrote many novels and short stories and was a prominent war correspondent during the Spanish-American War (1898). The documents here include letters, telegrams and notes, mostly written by Davis. It is predominantly letters to his publisher, J. Henry Harper, at Harper and Brothers, but also includes other letters to Raymond H. Walters, Lehigh University, a few letters from Rebecca Harding...
Identifier: SC MS 0061
Overview Collection contains material from the estate of William McCollum, Jr., Lehigh 1937. It includes photocopies of letters written by Don Marquis, which were collected and published by McCollum. Also included are four boxes of personal material from McCollum, typescripts of many unpublished poems, and a memoir.
- Subject: Authors X
- Mack, James D. (James Decker), 1916- 2
- Yates, W. Ross (Willard Ross) 2
- American Railway Engineering Association 1
- Anderson, Jack, 1922-2005 1
- Armstrong, Ray Livingstone, 1910- 1
- Arnold, Matthew, 1822-1888 1
- Beidler, Peter G. 1
- Carlyle, Thomas, 1795-1881 1
- Cornell University 1
- Davis, Charles Belmont –- Correspondence 1
- Davis, Rebecca Harding 1
- Davis, Rebecca Harding, 1831-1910 –- Correspondence 1
- Davis, Richard Harding, 1864-1916 1
- Davis, Richard Harding, 1864-1916 -- Archives 1
- Davis, Richard Harding, 1864-1916 -- Correspondence 1
- De Beer, Gavin, Sir 1
- Dilworth, Ernest Nevin 1
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882 1
- Flinders, Matthew, 1774-1814 1
- Gilder, Richard Watson –- Correspondence 1
- Harding family. 1
- Harper & Brothers 1
- Harper, J. Henry (Joseph Henry), 1850-1938 –- Correspondence 1
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel, 1804-1864 1
- Highwater, Jamake 1
- Jacoby, Henry Sylvester, 1857-1955 1
- James, Henry, 1843-1916 1
- Lauder, Ronald S. 1
- Lehigh University 1
- Lehigh University -- Students 1
- Lehigh University – History 1
- Lehigh University. Faculty 1
- Lehigh University. Library 1
- Leuba, Walter, 1902- 1
- Macmillan & Co., London 1
- Marquis, Don, 1878-1937 1
- McCollum, William 1
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 1
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 1
- Packer, Asa, 1805-1879 1
- Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849 1
- Sayre, Robert H. (Robert Heysham), 1824-1907 1
- Scribner's 1
- Stevens, William Bacon, 1815-1887 1
- Strauch, Carl F. (Carl Ferdinand), 1908-1989 1
- Thurnbull, Bill 1
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs 1
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892 1
- Whitten, Les, 1928- 1
- Young, William –- Correspondence 1 ∧ less