Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 12
Identifier: SC MS 0154
Overview This is a ten document collection comprised of eight pamphlets, a manuscript, and a detailed map regarding 19th century Albany, New York’s municipal water supply. The documents are dated from 1842 to 1850 but an earlier history of water supply for Albany is reflected within the documents.
Identifier: SC MS 0016
Overview The manuscript, in Spanish, of a small book entitled “Curvas de Ferro Carril” (“Railroad Curves”) written by Mr. Haines between 1883 and 1899 while he was working in Mexico. The book was never published. Included is some correspondence from Mr. H. H. Filley about the tables to be used in the book.
Identifier: SC MS 0146
Overview Ernest Nevin Dilworth was a professor of English at Lehigh from 1949 to 1977. Collection contains manuscript drafts of his published work and reference/citation cards, notes, and correspondence with publishers and colleagues.
Identifier: SC MS 0019
Overview Correspondence, handwritten and also edited transcription of diaries and records of the donation of his personal library of Harvey Bassler, who was a geologist for Standard Oil in Peru, from 1929-1939. Included are the diaries and other notes he took on his field trips in Peru, an edited copy of the diaries and the duplicated compilation of the diaries written by Bradford Willard in 1965-1966, as well as much personal correspondence during the period. Also included is a list of the books he...
Identifier: SC MS 0129
Overview A notebook that contains notes that were taken by John Wesley Grace (Lehigh University Class of 1899) during the Professor William Henry Chandler’s Chemistry lectures, in 1895.
Identifier: SC MS 0027
Overview Material includes correspondence between class members (and families of deceased members) with Historian John J. Lincoln (a member of the class) for material to be included in a 50 Year Book, titled, Record of the Class of 1889, Lehigh, (n.p.: published by the class, 1935). It also includes some updated material to 1945.
Identifier: SC MS 0018
Overview Manuscripts, and holograph notebooks of some lectures delivered by Henry Coppée, first president of Lehigh University, on Woman, Education, Rhetoric, English language and literature, Christian Evidences, International Law, Health, and History, as well as the manuscript of his published book "Conquest of Spain by the Arab Moors." Most interesting are his personal observations as an Army officer marching into Mexico City during the Mexican-American War.
Identifier: SC MS 0021
Overview Manuscripts and related documents for three operas by Elkus: Medea (1965), Helen in Egypt (1970), and The Mandarin (1967). For Helen in Egypt, includes programs and reviews, correspondence with librettist Jere Knight, and Knight's resume. For The Mandarin, includes synopsis and programs, and librettos by Richard Franko Goldman.
Identifier: SC MS 0052
Overview This collection includes articles, manuscripts, and correspondence relating to his publications as well as syllabi, lecture notes and student papers from his teaching at Lehigh. Extensive material from his work on the following authors: Carlyle, Arnold, Hawthorne, Poe, James, Melville, Whitman, and Emerson. Material on other 19th century authors and on the Romantic period is also included.
Identifier: SC MS 0173
Overview This folio itemizes an interesting view into the northwestward expansion of the City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in an era of growth in the mid-19th century. What is shown by the surveying entries is the incorporation, by the 1854 Act of Consolidation, of Roxborough Township and the Borough of Manayunk into the City of Philadelphia’s 21st Ward. A list of landowners requiring surveying services reflects on Lehigh University’s collection of 18th and 19th century industrial collections with...
- Subject: Manuscripts (documents) X
- Albany (N.Y.) Water Works 1
- Albany (N.Y.). Water Commissioners' Office 1
- Albany Evening Journal 1
- Albany and Schenectady Rail Road 1
- Arnold, Matthew, 1822-1888 1
- Bassler, Harvey, 1883-1950 1
- Bosshardt, Edwin 1
- Carlyle, Thomas, 1795-1881 1
- Carpenter, George W. (Superintendent) 1
- Chandler, W. H. (William Henry), 1841-1906 1
- City of Albany, New York 1
- Coppée, Henry, 1821-1895 1
- Corning, Erastus, 1794-1872 1
- Cushman, W. McClelland 1
- Dilworth, Ernest Nevin 1
- Douglass, David Bates, 1790-1849 1
- Elkus, Jonathan 1
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882 1
- Filley, H. H. (Hiel Hamilton) 1
- Goldman, Richard Franko, 1910-1980 1
- Grace, Eugene G. (Eugene Gifford), 1876-1960 1
- Grace, John Wesley, Jr. 1
- Haines, Caspar Wistar, -1935 1
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel, 1804-1864 1
- Holland, Clifford Milburn 1
- James, Henry, 1843-1916 1
- John H. Levering (1831 – c.1897) 1
- Knight, Jere 1
- Lehigh University 1
- Lehigh University. Class of 1889 1
- Lehigh University. Faculty 1
- Lehigh University. Library 1
- Leuba, Walter, 1902- 1
- Levering, John H. 1
- Lincoln, John J. (John Joseph) 1
- McAlpine, William J. (William Jarvis) 1
- Meads, John 1
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 1
- Mohawk and Hudson Railroad Company 1
- New Jersey Interstate Bridge and Tunnel Commission 1
- Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849 1
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey 1
- Singstad, Ole Knutsen 1
- Standard Oil Company 1
- Stoughton, Bradley 1
- Stoughton, Bradley 1873-1959 1
- Strauch, Carl F. (Carl Ferdinand), 1908-1989 1
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Engineering Experiment Station 1
- Van Rensselaer, Stephen 1
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892 1
- Willard, Arthur C. (Arthur Cutts), 1878-1960 1 ∧ less