Found in 31 Collections and/or Records:
Henry S. Jacoby Papers contains diplomas and certificates he received, drawings and illustrations for some of his books, scrapbooks about Lehigh (1872-1877), typescripts of some of his publications, and correspondence to and from the American Railway Engineering Association. The correspondence is of special to any engineer interested in the work involved in formulating a textbook or the forensics of old bridges.
Publications, presentation notes, and presentations on structural engineering, load and resistance factor design for steel structures, bridge testing and composite construction using steel and concrete. Presentations took place at universities and ASCE and AISC conferences.
Informative journal of travels in the region of Puno and Cuzco containing information about the Andean culture, indigenous populations, places, topography, Andean Indian ruins and building features. During the Davis exploration of southeastern Peru he was joined by American archaeologist and U.S. Commissioner to Peru, Ephraim George Squier and together they measured and observed with great care the Inca ruins in the Cuzco region.
Manuscripts, and holograph notebooks of some lectures delivered by Henry Coppée, first president of Lehigh University, on Woman, Education, Rhetoric, English language and literature, Christian Evidences, International Law, Health, and History, as well as the manuscript of his published book "Conquest of Spain by the Arab Moors." Most interesting are his personal observations as an Army officer marching into Mexico City during the Mexican-American War.
Handwritten lecture notes in French which became the basis for a popular mining engineers field handbook in the late Nineteenth Century. The lectures were given by Professor Louis Edouard Rivot at Ecole Imperiale des Mines in Paris and the notes taken by his student Rothwell. The manuscripts owned by Eckley B. Coxe then donated to Lehigh in 1897.
The collection shows a series of construction photos of a Pennsylvania Department of Highways Parker Through Truss Bridge built by the McClintic-Marshall Company. The bridge is known as the Market Street Bridge or the Kittanning Bridge and carries Business US 422 over the Allegheny River from Kittanning, PA to Applewold on the opposite bank. Also very cursorily are a few photos and brief description of the Brewery Bridge in Latrobe, PA.