Lehigh University Presidents' Correspondence, 1866-1921
Scope and Contents of the Collection
This collection includes material on admissions, alumni, athletics, entrance examinations, faculty correspondence, fraternities, faculty and staff positions, relations with other schools, parents, scholarships and tuition, relations with students, and general University business. Individuals involved include presidents Henry Coppée, John McDowell Leavitt, Robert Alexander Lamberton, Thomas Messinger Drown, Henry Sturgis Drinker, and Charles Russ Richards, as well as other faculty, students, and alumni.
- Lehigh University (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English
Collection housed remotely. Users need to contact 24 hours in advance.
Collection is open for research.
Please inquire about copyright information.
Founded in 1865 by Asa Packer, Lehigh University is a private, coeducational, nondenominational four year university. Home to over 4500 undergraduates and 2000 graduate students, Lehigh offers degrees in one of its four colleges- The College of Arts and Science, the PC Rossin College of Engineering, the College of Business and Economics, and the College of Education.
67 boxes, 27.9 linear feet
This collection includes letters written to the office of the President (some to the Secretary of the Faculty or the Registrar) between 1866 and 1921. These letters cover many aspects of "Life as President of Lehigh". Also included are sixty one "Letter Books" with the replies from the President in chronological order from 1878 to 1920.
Arrangement of the Collection
This collection is arranged by year; within each year by subject.
No additions expected.
- Coppée, Henry, 1821-1895
- Coxe Laboratory
- Coxe, Eckley B. (Eckley Brinton), 1839-1895
- Drinker, Henry S. (Henry Sturgis), 1850-1937
- Drown Memorial Hall.
- Emery, Natt M. (Natt Morrill), 1873-1935
- Estes, William L. (William Lawrence), 1855-1940
- Franklin, William S. (William Suddards), 1863-1930
- Fritz Engineering Laboratory.
- Lamberton, Robert Alexander, 1824-1893
- Lehigh University--Buildings.
- Lehigh University. -- Presidents
- Lehigh University. Arboretum
- Lehigh University. Libraries.
- Linderman Library
- Packer Memorial Church (Bethlehem, Pa.)
- Personal correspondence
- Sayre Park.
- Taylor Gymnasium.
- Taylor Hall.
- Finding Aid of Lehigh University Presidents' Correspondence, 1866-1921
- William Ying
- February 13, 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Lehigh University Special Collections Repository
30 Library Drive
Bethlehem PA 18045 USA