Documents Related to Lehigh University Centennial Celebrations, 1961-1966
Scope and Contents
The collection divided into four series: Centennial Convocation; Centennial Fund; 100th Birthday and (oversize) publications about Lehigh’s Centennial.
- Majority of material found within 1963, 1965
- Lehigh University (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Collection housed remotely. Users need to contact 24 hours in advance.
Conditions Governing Use
Collection is open for research.
Biographical / Historical
Located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Lehigh University was founded by Asa Packer in 1865 to educate young men in technology and liberal arts. Lehigh celebrated its 100th anniversary with a series of events, including a convocation that took place in 1963. Celebration preparations started in 1961 and ended in 1966.
2.5 Linear Feet (1 Manuscript box, 1 Flat box)
This collection contains documents related to Lehigh University Centennial celebrations (1961-1966) that includes Centennial Convocation Symposium titled “The Exercise of Men’s Incredible Powers”; Lehigh Development Office Centennial Fund fundraising documents, 100th Birthday; special Centennial issues of newspapers, magazines, various clippings, press releases, memos, correspondence and other publications.
Materials arranged by topic and format, then chronological by date.
- Education, Higher
- Bethlehem (Pa.)
- College administrators
- Grace Hall
- Hotel Bethlehem, Bethlehem (Pa.)
- Lehigh University
- Lehigh University -- Centennial Convocation
- Lehigh University -- History
- Letters (correspondence)
- Mack, James D. (James Decker), 1916-
- Neville, Harvey A. (Harvey Alexander), 1898-1983
- Newspaper clippings
- Rathbone, Monroe Jackson
- Meghan Finch – inventory started, March 2010 Ali Yeager – inventory list completed – February 2012 Zion Um – Finding aid draft – May 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Lehigh University Special Collections Repository
30 Library Drive
Bethlehem PA 18045 USA