Mart Science and Engineering Library Construction and Dedication, 1963-1969
Scope and Contents
The collection contains press releases, correspondence, invitations, programs, brochures, newspaper clippings, photographs and architectural drawings.
- 1963 - 1969
- Mack, James D. (James Decker), 1916- (Person)
Biographical / Historical
In 1915, Leon T. Mart earned an engineering degree from Lehigh University. He held approximately 25 U.S. patents for spray nozzles and parts of water cooling towers, but he died in 1959. Soon after, his wife Clara made a large monetary donation to Lehigh and had the Mart Science and Engineering Library named after her husband. The library project started in 1964 and construction was completed in late 1968, with the dedication being on May 30th, 1969.
2.5 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
In 1963, Lehigh University decided to have another library for its growing collections. The Science and Engineering library became one of the largest building projects of Lehigh that cost over $1 million. This collection includes plans and specifications, floor plans, sketches, furniture specifications, architectural notes and other correspondences as well as proposals from building and construction firms. Also includes the dedication files, speeches, thank you letters to and from Library Director James D. Mack, news clippings and photographs.
Arranged chronologically then by format and size then divided into two series: Series 1: Proposals, plans and specifications Series 2: Dedication files
- Mart Science and Engineering Library Construction and Dedication
- Jackie Peterson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Lehigh University Special Collections Repository
30 Library Drive
Bethlehem PA 18045 USA