Bethlehem Steel Corporation
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: L 378 V-C518- 1913-1975
Overview This scrapbook of Albert W. Chenoweth, Lehigh Class of 1917, contains material documenting his high school and Lehigh athletic career, and his professional career at the Bethlehem Steel Corporation. Anyone interested in Lehigh football history will enjoy perusing this collection which contains many interesting articles about Lehigh football greats.
Identifier: SC MS 0139
Overview This collection consists of Anna Pongracz papers mostly related to Urban Renewal and other housing and city planning developments especially in South Bethlehem (PA) from 1960s to 1980s. Anna Pongracz was a community organizer and played a substantial role during the planning processes of the housing and city development projects. She was the speaker for the community and represented the "under represented" South Bethlehem residences.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: SC MS 0137
Overview The collection contains ciphered, coded confidential telegrams from/to Archibald Johnston (Lehigh 1889), a president of Bethlehem Steel Company as well as personal letters. He represented The Company abroad primarily in South America. Most of the correspondence is dated 1912 to/from Charles M. Schwab, director of Bethlehem Steel Co. or Eugene G. Grace (Lehigh 1899), a president designate (made a president in 1913) and Archibald Johnston. The business correspondence is mainly telegrams...
Identifier: SC MS 0181
Overview This collection reflects steel making practice at the turn of the twentieth century particularly the reuse of by-products of steel manufacture. It appears that the European steel manufacture was interested in economical reuse of the by-products. Bethlehem Steel Company recognized the potential of the European manufacturing practice and sent engineers to Europe to observe these practices. Also included in this collection are descriptions of Pennsylvania steel mills at the turn of the...
Identifier: SC MS 0380
Overview A collection of printed material (mostly newspaper clippings) about the transformation of Southside Bethlehem, PA from a closed-down steel mill site to redeveloped arts and cultural heritage site for (ArtsQuest and Musikfest) a casino, an arts pavilion of indoor and outdoor theater venues, restaurants, an industrial museum, an industrial historic site and a public broadcasting television station.
Identifier: SC MS 0068
Overview Collection of correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings gathered by J. Mark Frey, related to Lehigh University, Lehigh YMCA, Chinese students, Bethlehem Bach Choir and Bethlehem Steel Corporation. Frey was the secretary of Lehigh YMCA and involved with Americanization and naturalization classes for Bethlehem Steel’s immigrant workers and an enthusiast of the Bethlehem Bach Choir. The collection provides a valuable picture of one employee’s life at Lehigh University in the...
Collection — Box: Photo 0011.01
Identifier: SC Photo-0011
Overview The Juragua Iron Company was the first American company to become interested in iron mining in Cuba. The mines were located in the province of Santiago at the eastern end of Cuba. The Santiago province climate is hot, but not affected by fevers or malaria. The company first went to Cuba in the early 1880s to begin iron ore mining. Its capital stock was controlled by the Bethlehem Iron Company of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Steel Company of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It shipped...
Identifier: SC MS 0140
Overview Documents and photographs assembled by Robert M. Wheeler primarily of the portion of his career as Mine Captain of No. 3 mine at the Cornwall Iron Mine, a subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel Corporation. His contributions to the iron ore operation in the Cornwall Iron Mine as well as other mines belonging to the Bethlehem Cornwall Corporation were valued by the Bethlehem executives based on the correspondence content. Mr. Wheeler’s material gives an insight into open pit and underground mining...
Identifier: SC MS 0373
Overview Four progress reports describing a little known forestry project created by Bethlehem Steel Corporation during the late 1950s and 1960s on Bethlehem’s South Mountain in order to manage the woods for construction of a research center. The project was known as the South Mountain Research Center, later named as Homer Research Laboratories. The center was established to deal with timber management and land reclamation.
Collection — Box: PHOTO 0009.01
Identifier: SC Photo-0009
Overview A collection of construction photographs of a steel railroad bridge erected on a dry flat plain which eventually became a Mississippi River floodway channel. The channel beneath the bridge elements was dredged after the bridge was constructed. This construction procedure was in reverse of the usual building process. Construction by Bethlehem Steel began in late 1940 and completed in early 1941. The reverse building process was unusual at the time. The bridge is also known as the Wax Lake Outlet...